6th MITE to Feature New Gastronomy Zone in April Expo
Organized by Macao Government Tourism Office (MGTO), the 6th Macao International Travel (Industry) Expo ('MITE') will be held in The Venetian Macao from 27th to 29th April. Brought forward to April this year, MITE exhibitors can capitalize on the timing to promote their tourism products for the Summer vacation before the peak season arrives. Five key highlights will be included in MITE to unleash Macao's unique strengths and role as an industry platform; namely, China-Portugal Tourism Networking, 'Maritime Silk Road' Tourism & Culture Display, Greater Bay Area: Tourism Development and Opportunities Seminar, Macao 'Tourism．Creative' Street as well as 'Macao: City of Gastronomy' Feature Zone.
Meanwhile, MGTO and Macau Travel Agency Association co-hosted a press conference on 21st March to unveil this year's event programme. MGTO Director Maria Helena de Senna Fernandes remarked that other than the promotion of local cultural and creative industries, MITE would include the 'Macao: City of Gastronomy' Feature Zone as a new highlight to foster collaboration between the field of gastronomy and other realms.
She added that MITE will be staged earlier this year - in April - in order to boost participants' business benefits. This new arrangement also establishes a difference in focus between the two major tourism industry events in Macao: an expo targeting product buying and selling for trade and consumers with MITE in the first half of the year, and a forum accommodating high-level discussion and exchanges via the Global Tourism Economy Forum to be held in the second half of the year.
MITE will continue to promote Macao's role as a platform in the field of tourism, with five key highlights of the expo as follows:
1. China-Portugal Tourism Networking: highlighting Macao's role as a Sino-Portuguese platform fostering exchange and co-operation between the tourism industries of the provinces and cities of the Mainland and Portuguese-speaking countries, developing distinctive tourism products and exploring business opportunities in the tourism markets of China and Portugal;
2. 'Maritime Silk Road' Tourism & Culture Display: the Display will highlight the strengths of Macao as one of the major hubs along the Maritime Silk Road and gather exhibitors from various countries and regions along the Maritime Silk Road for the opportunity to showcase their folk culture and traditions, thus manifesting the diversity of travel experiences and cultural charms dotting the Maritime Silk Road;
3. Greater Bay Area: A Tourism Development and Opportunities Seminar will explore opportunities for the tourism development of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Bay Area, discuss means of co-operation among the city cluster of the Bay Area and promote regional tourism progress while emphasizing the role of Macao's co-operation with the Bay Area;
4. Macao 'Tourism･Creative' Street: lining up local cultural and creative businesses as well as tourism souvenir stores to bring together tourism, cultural and creative elements, the Street will showcase the unique cultural palette of Macao and widen the perspectives of residents and visitors on Macao's tourism and creative industry development;
5. 'Macao: City of Gastronomy' Feature Zone: to enable travellers to experience Macao as a UNESCO Creative City of Gastronomy, the Zone features interactive sessions including the showcasing of hand-making skills, demonstrations and tasting of special delicacies, as well as the sharing of stories about Macao's signature delicacies, thus promoting the city's diverse gastronomic culture rooted in its centuries-old history of East-West cultural interchanges.
The exhibition floor of MITE has been expanded to a total area of 11000 square metres this year. As at the time of publication, around 290 enterprises and entities from a total of 36 countries and regions had confirmed their participation in MITE, including tourism departments, travel agencies, cultural and creative industries, the catering industry, and so forth.
MITE opens from 11:00am to 6:00pm on 27th April, and from 10:00am to 6:00pm on 28th and 29th April. Free admission tickets will be distributed to the public on-site from Hall D, Cotai Expo of The Venetian Macao.
For more information about MITE, please visit: www.cmitc.com.